Monday, April 29, 2013

Therapy dogs and cats that need therapy

Dogs and humans bond in ways that heal your soul.  When I was going to the doctor and it was looking more and more ominous I told my wife "if it is cancer I am getting a puppy"  Tuesday morning the call came and I started searching.  We went to the local shelters and fell in love with many creatures.  We visited the Lee County, Harnett County and Fort Bragg shelters.  It is heart-breaking to see so many living things in distress.  One of the shelters said they get fifty animals a week.  One of the shelters keeps the animals until there is no more room...one of them euthanizes them on a schedule. 
  The "puppy" that I bonded with almost immediately was a 65 pound black dog that the kennel technician had named "bonehead"...it was appropriate.  The gospel dog...doomed to die because not many people are looking for a big black bonehead.  Cute little puppies look at you with their Disney eyes and go home.  Big dogs that look at you like they are considering consuming you or licking you into submission scare sane people…So the bonehead got a dog...or the bonehead got a human. 
  He has earned a name thanks to my son.  He is "the amazing Benjamin Franklin"...he is still working on the amazing part...and goes by Ben.  In a very predictable manner my cat has issues with the new arrival due to his questionable background. 

Benjamin has decided to pursue a career as a therapy dog.  http://www.tdi-dog.org/ He is doing well in the performance demonstration methods but his having a hard time on the academic portion.  He is most concerned with the written test. 

 
  I am writing this blog as cathartic therapy but I have gotten positive feedback from friends.  If you enjoy the posts I am thrilled.  If you are going through a tough time and you can find solace in the fact that a mad man can find humor in the absurdity of life that is a major bonus.  More than one person has said they were unable to post comments; if you know how please post instructions in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment