Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ronney and the Cancer 3

Yesterday we went to the hospital and met with the treatment team and determined the course of action.  I will participate in a clinical trial.  Some of the details are here:  http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01612351 

  The idea is to minimize the adverse effects of the treatment.  If my limpoolio reacts well to the chemo then I will have an operation to remove the remnants of the affected lymph nodes and a biopsy to confirm the absence of cancer.  Then my treatment is complete minus monitoring which will continue for a few years.  If the limpoolio is stubborn then we will proceed with more chemo and add radiation therapy up to and including the standard of care method. 
  Now I am waiting for scheduling.  I will be undergoing several tests that are not in the standard of care package.  The fancy heart test is probably the one that will take the longest to get scheduled.  It may take two weeks to get in and a week for the results meaning treatment could start as late at three weeks from now.  I asked the doctor if that was a long delay and if we could get the tests done elsewhere, Womack, VA or elsewhere.  The doctor said "no more monkeys jumping on the bed"...no really the response was that if I was going on a three month vacation to fulfill my bucket list that would be too long but a few weeks is not a huge deal. 
  I am a very lucky man.  Yesterday I had a house full of love...half a dozen girls loving on me.  Surrounded by family and friends…we ate too much, laughed too much, played with the kids and animals and performed the 4000 mile maintenance on one of the motorcycles.  I thank God for all my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment