Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"Dad, I woke up!" and being on fire

When my son was very young, and learning how to get up and make his bed he would come into our bedroom and announce "DAD, I WOKE UP!" sometimes at five in the morning, or earlier…At times it was somewhat painful for me to wake up.  However the fact that he was enthusiastic about spending time with me was infectious.  I resolved at that point to start approaching my day that way.  Many days it is hard.  The fact that I am alive is AWESOME!  Another day on this planet.  I have many friends who are not with me.   http://www.cctmemorial.com/    http://pjassn.net/downloads/pararescuehonorrolloct2011.pdf
 
  I had my first parachute malfunction in 1986.  I am living on borrowed time.  I use the illustration for my flight students "have you ever been on fire?"  Your perception of time changes.  This is a good intro to remaining calm during emergency procedures.  "You have the rest of your life to fix it."  Sometimes that is measured in smaller chronological units. 
 
  The main point is to enjoy every breath as much as you can.  As we said in Scuba school "a breath of water is like no breath at all."  The little things in life that we take for granted are to be savored.  Breathing, walking, and swallowing are things you don't really appreciate until you can not do them.  Tell the people you love how much they mean.  Thank the Lord in heaven for the vivid life we have.  If you have something in your bucket list get after it!  Bury the hatchet and get rid of all that crap that slows you down or bums you out.  Life is too short not to live it to the fullest. 
  I wish I could have told my buddies that committed suicide something.  Anything.  I am an idiot...I know that.  I am full of pride and reluctant to ask for and accept help.  But when I start down that road I remember "DAD, I WOKE UP!" and that I am currently not on fire.


Sorry about the cheerful post.

1 comment:

  1. Ronney, glad to see your blog as I did the same thing to increase commo and reduce cell phone calls when my cancer came to visit. It is a great help to those of us who were a part of your life when you were "Reggie" living in Gloster. Rocio, Erwin, Jim, Susie and the rest of us can check on you all the time now. Prayer lamp on high in Shreveport. God's speed to you. Tim

    ReplyDelete