Friday, May 3, 2013

Ronney and the cancer 4

Wednesday my mom and I went to the hospitals and I had a bunch of tests.  We started off in the heart hospital with an echo cardiogram.  It is like an ultrasound of your heart.  It was interesting to hear the sounds and see the pictures of my heart.  The technician moved the probe around to get good shots of the different chambers and valves in action.  The sensor also picked up the sounds.  Windshield wipers from one angle, installing a tin roof from another angle...
  We then had to travel about five miles across town.  So mom has a smart phone and I have a tom tom let us play with them.  The two devices gave conflicting information.  When they told me to turn toward Durham I raised the flag and went back to my point of departure and called a friend.  Three minutes later we were at the main hospital.  (I guess I did not activate the approach or maybe the OBS button was selected) Pilot geek joke. 
  The next test was a series of tests to establish a functional baseline of my swallowing.  They gave me a barium drink and took x-rays.  Barium applesauce, barium and crackers were also on the menu.  I really don't see the appeal...ha ha.  Barium has a relatively low toxicity and high density and shows up well in x-rays.  The infamous barium enema is used for GI tract imagery.  I am thankful that my cancer is not located in other places.  The speech pathologist said I have good functionality and advised me of some of the upcoming effects of treatment.  Chemo can make things taste and smell weird...the effect is generally short lived so keep on trying to eat.  A teaspoon of olive oil can be therapeutic.  After barium hors d'oeruvre a teaspoon of oil did not sound that bad.  One of the Louisiana cures for worms is a teaspoon of kerosene.  The joke goes...a preacher is illustrating the evils of alcohol and drops a worm in a bottle of booze...the worm dies and the preacher asks: "what have you learned?"  A drunk answers "I will never get worms."  bud dum bump.
  Next we went to draw blood.  They want to "get the numbers" I will learn more about that soon.  I contacted the young man who is involved in a study of cancer patients to make sure they got their blood at the same time.  The study is trying to collect information on 10,000 subjects.  Genetics, lifestyle, treatment protocols and other data points will be collected.  Big picture stuff that may help researchers find "cures" and raw data for their thesis.  Glad to help but I want to minimize the blood drawing episodes.  I HATE needles...actually the idea of needles.  My PJ brothers used to practice IV sticks and I would let them.  Since it is important my team is properly trained.  I provided a few young PJs with good feedback.  Like they missed the vein and stuff...  NVG sticks on a moving aircraft.  Love ya brother get good because when it comes down to it your skill at this may mean the difference between a teammate living. 
  Anyway since the CT scan required a period of fasting mom and I went to the Lineburger Comprehensive Cancer Center where we relaxed.  The center has many resources for the patient and caregiver.  A library, a kitchen, rooms to chill out, nutrition and other councilors.  One of the cool things is a color therapy spa.  http://www.suncoastspaequipment.com/spectracolor.cfm It is like a pod that you lay down in and it massages, vibrates and applies heat, music, different colored lights to help relax you.  My mom is very distressed since her child has cancer and she was refreshed after a short session in the pod.  At my mom's insistence I tried it.  It was great!  I put it on the C-130 vibration mode with a little MH-53 hot/cold therapy and went right to sleep.  Many of the resources in the center are donated including a section for wigs and hats.  It is not a factor in my treatment but I can imagine that the shock of losing your hair is distressing to many people. 
  The CT scan was now old hat since this is my third time.  They gave me the IV of the fluorescent paint and scanned me.  I will be interested to see the results and if limpoolio is growing, spreading or just dug in preparing for next weeks battle.  We gonna go on a ride in chair 36...
  We had a late lunch/early dinner at a cool restaurant in Chapel Hill.  Vimala's Curry blossom Cafe.  http://curryblossom.com/ Some of my friends and I ate a little and laughed a lot.  I am blessed in so many ways. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I really have enjoyed reading all your stories. I love the pictures of Ben Franklin trying to study for the written test, and of corse the cat.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for Sharing love your blog page

    ReplyDelete