Tuesday, December 20, 2022

My thoughts on prayer

 Prayer is a way for us to speak to God. I am sure that God does not care if you use certain words or strike certain poses. He knows your heart so sincerity is probably the only criteria. The Bible tells us to pray continuously.

Since God spoke the universe into existence I believe verbalizing is powerful. The very act of speaking takes effort and the sound of your voice resonates within you. Praying publicly is scary. It is weird to think that we worry about what other humans think when we are addressing God, but we do. The Quakers are a sect of Christianity that endorses silent prayer. So much so that they quake in silence. Many other belief systems pray. It seems that elaborate ceremonial procedures can help people get closer to God. I try not to judge others on their methods or connection since I am just a human.

The benefit of prayer is documented in secular and scientific literature. Many of the studies indicate that the expression of gratitude increases personal satisfaction. It is somewhat ironic that expressing thankfulness makes people happier. In my personal experience prayer is a way for me to connect with God. I talk to Him directly. My prayers are often answered, sometimes like I imagined but more often in ways I did not expect. I try to remember that my time on earth is limited and only part of the journey. The trials and lessons are meant to develop me. I know I was built for a purpose. Understanding and fulfilling my mission is an evolving process. Prayer allows me to both vent and reflect. Listening and obeying God is the second half of prayer. The communications is not one way. It scares people, myself included, to listen to the voices in my head. It is a vulnerable place to be when you quiet your mind and let God speak to you. I would not say that I hear a specific voice that tells me what to do, but on the rare occasions I shut up I do recognize the right thing to do. I think that is why I am drawn to extreme activities. When hurtling toward imminent doom on the edge of a giant wave that will crush me I cannot focus on anything else and my mind is clear. The Zen Buddhist idea of living in the moment and disconnecting from earthly concerns has a valid point.

Training my self-dialogue is an added benefit of focused verbalized prayer. I try to make the first words out of my mouth in the morning “Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Praise Him all creatures here below, praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.” This is an outgrowth of the lesson I learned when my son, as a child, greeted me enthusiastically “Dad, I woke up!” In my groggy probably hung over grumpy mind I could not be angry or upset over such a greeting. I started over a quarter of a century ago trying to appreciate the fact that I had another day. That was a huge change over the attitude expressed before. The trivial tasks and challenges of the upcoming day would sometimes immediately overwhelm me. I started to control my self talk and quit cursing and yelling at myself. I named the negative voice “Bud,” after a person who was always speaking ill into my life. “OK Bud” became an appropriate response and helps shut that out of my mind. I still get pissed at things and have a tendency to be grumpy especially without coffee but praying helps focus me towards a higher goal.

One of the most effective ways of keeping me reverent is to pray for others. It reminds me of my uniquely blessed position and how I need to spread the love to others. I pray about adversarial relationships so I can remember my forgiveness and try to freely give grace. Life can be tough, prayer does not change the road but may remind you to look at the scenery on the detour. In times of battle I pray for a steady hand and accurate fire. I am sure my enemy is praying to their God. Blood will spill and heads will roll let me be an instrument of your will.

Some of the realities I recognize: God has a purpose for me, I will serve that purpose no matter what my desire, Pain and suffering are part of the experience. My sincere belief is that this short life is only part of my existence and lessons that I learn here will make sense someday. So pray. Pray often, pray silently, pray out loud. Pray kneeling, standing or on your head. Pray about things you can't change, pray for the strength, will and wisdom to change things you can change. Pray for forgiveness, pray to forgive. Thank God for all your blessings and whine about other things. Pray for yourself, pray for others. Pray often, sincerely, and reverently. Listen and evaluate the voices in your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment