Thursday, December 12, 2013

Neuroplasticity

I am working on re-training my mind to ignore the non-injury pain. It is an interesting process. The neuropathy probably comes from the heavy metal based chemotherapy drugs. The nerves have been damaged and fire seemingly randomly. I have been using a combination of deep breathing, meditation, prayer and exercise to refocus my mind away from the pain perception. The idea that pain is all in the mind is not new but recent research points to our ability to adapt our mind to rewire our brain.
One of my challenges is that the career of special operations paratrooper came with a list of injuries mainly to my joints and skeletal structure. The damage caused by surgery, radiation and chemotherapy is also valid. These sensations may be real but need not be debilitating. I am learning how to accept the sensations but not attach meaning. Into each life a certain amount of pain is present. “Pain is weakness leaving the body” is one kind of pain. Pain can be instructive as in the lesson of the hot pot on the stove. God is using this trail in my life to teach me to trust Him completely.
I am very thankful for the support and encouragement of my friends and family. My lovely bride continues to amaze me.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2933650/

No comments:

Post a Comment