Friday, December 27, 2013

Do you want some cheese with that whine?

I am doing great so forgive me if I whine. Chronic pain allows a lot of time for thoughts. Some are positive and useful some less so. Here are some of the more useful reflections.
You will suffer. That is part of life. We are molded by the human experience. How we respond to circumstances determines our understanding of the event itself. You can be grateful and joyous knowing that God loves you or desperate and hopeless because “what is the point?” We may not understand the reasons for things while we are alive. Glorifying His name through our thoughts, words and deeds is our task. To praise the Lord in good times is relatively easy although many of us think it is our own effort that made things good. To truly praise the Lord in tough times requires strong faith. Suffering can strengthen your faith.
Jesus paid for my sins. I am allowed to avoid the full brunt of the consequences of my sins because of His grace. I did nothing to earn salvation. I have sinned against God and man. The pain and suffering I inflicted on others alone begs for a long slow agonizing death. Thinking that God “owes” me anything is arrogant blasphemy. I was born into privilege and prosperity. I am surrounded by people that love me. I am blessed with abundant material possessions. The body and mind I was provided with is incredible.
Praise God for all my blessings including my current situation. I pray that I learn from it. I pray that God uses me for His glory.

"...count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." James 1:2-4

"...he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.” Acts 9:14-16
(talking about Paul)

... that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.
Php 3:8-1011 (Paul talking)

"So they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name." Acts 5:41

“Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:11-13


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ronney: I'd like to add to you list. I especially like 2 Corinth 4:7

    "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."

    Hang in there. phill hartig

    ReplyDelete