Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Latest news from the doctor

Monday we went to see the doctor. My blood work was good, my weight was down 1.6 lbs. I am not really worried about the weight loss since the appointment was about lunchtime and I had not eaten yet. Healing of the neck seems to be going according to schedule. The radiation was still frying stuff probably for at least two weeks after the last dose. We discussed pain and pain management. The pain in the neck and shoulder will lessen steadily and the throat pain should disappear. The pain from maladjusted neck and shoulder will stabilize at some point…time and physical therapy should assist.
The doctor was surprised and happy to hear my progress reducing my medication intake. At the peak of this process I was taking a dozen pain pills a day and a pain patch every three days. I am down to three or four pain pills a day and no patch for a week. We discussed the safe “bottle to throttle” options with the pain pills. I think twelve hours is a good safe bet. I drove home (supervised by my lovely bride). I was fatigued by the end but was safe.
I am not able to valsalva right now so I would not be well equipped for pressure changes. The doctor seemed to think that like the rest of the sinus system it will return to pre-treatment operation. I can PT with no restrictions. That is one of the stark realities I am dealing with. I was very inactive since April or so and my muscles have atrophied. I do not have much endurance yet. I have been able to work in the garden. I am able to do so for up to ninety minutes lately. I was able to paddle a canoe around today. Thanks Len! I am able to hang on the pull up bar. It will be a while before I can knock out a bunch of calisthenics and go for a run but I am progressing in that direction.
Alex and Tina stopped by today. That is truly a healing experience to see my wife and children all together. We ate and talked and laughed. We are going over to Tina’s for Thanksgiving. This year has been challenging but when I start counting my blessings I realize how awesomely abundant and rich my life is…
Thank all of y’all for your prayers and well wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment