Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Doctor Visit

We went to the doctor today. I gained weight and I am progressing well. One of the muscles of my shoulder, the trapezius, is recovering rather strangely. Cranial nerve 11 was removed and yet I can move my arm over my head which (according to the doc that removed the nerve) I should not be able to do. My shoulder looks weird and hurts like the dickens but should recover better than I thought. I still am only able to hang on the pull up bar. The doctor told me to shift my paradigm and think of recovering and returning to flying in the spring. I have been imagining I would be able to start back in two weeks then four weeks…now it is coming up on six weeks after treatment and I still have the endurance of an old weak man. Good advice, I will still try to push it.
We talked about depression because head and neck cancer patients have a high rate of reported depression. I am dealing with it but I am pretty happy go lucky anyway. The cold wet rainy weather is more depression inducing for me.
We spoke about the pain medication realities and alternate methods. The drug oxycotin is highly addictive and has withdrawal symptoms that mimic many of the side effects of chemotherapy, radiation and pain associated with surgery. There is a huge drug problem with these and other narcotic opioids. It is no wonder they call it hillbilly heroin because it is a pharmaceutical heroin equivalent. I have been four days without. Pain sucks but some of the peripheral neuropathy symptoms have subsided. I am now experiencing “honest” pain. I still would not fly (or ride motorcycles) but I am starting to feel safe with driving. The doctor said Tylenol and Ibuprofen are somewhat effective pain killers so I am going to try using those. Fixing my disrupted sleep schedule is part of the solution. The narcotics made it easy to sleep.
My surgical oncologist is retiring and will live in a 37 foot sailboat. I was blessed to have her as my surgeon. My taste buds are returning and my lovely wife continues feeding me delicious food. Being able to taste food really enhances its appeal. As Thanksgiving approaches I count my blessings even more often. Thank all of you for the good vibes, prayers and practical help.

No comments:

Post a Comment