Thursday, November 7, 2013

Flying and teaching

I spoke to AOPA and here is my current plan. I can teach and fly with certain students. If they can act as pilot in command (PIC) then I am authorized to teach. My good friend and mentor, Jim Bauer, did this for several years. He had some medical issues but was still able to instruct for quite a few years. I truly miss him; he passed away early this year. As former Navy Blue Angel he was full of stories and never let an opportunity for a joke pass him by. When I get a “cancer free” scan I can submit my information to an Aviation Medical Examiner and then the FAA will determine if they will grant a special issuance. The current backlog is 90 days. They let me know the FAA tends to have a certain period of time they will have me grounded.
I still have to heal to the point of being able to provide a safe learning environment to my students. This may be next week or may be longer. I need to complete an annual club proficiency check. I look forward to being able to teach again.

No comments:

Post a Comment