Thursday, September 5, 2013

Nausea and relief

I am NOT someone who normally got motion sick. I have learned a lot about it during my cancer journey. My wife gets motion sick very easy.  I love hear and would like to share my passion for flight. I had sympathy but I have gained empathy. We have learned some techniques that may be helpful.


Ginger including ginger snaps and ginger ale. Chewing gum and proper hydration help. Cool temperatures seem to help. Looking outside the window may help. Stimulation of the acupressure point Nei-Kuan helps.  I have used the brand "seabands" to good effect.  My wife used the brand "relief band" with little alleviation although two other people I know use them.
Vicks vapor rub if the nausea is triggered by smell.
My wife has a prescription patch that we have not tried.
There are many drugs that help unfortunately many of them have side effects that would preclude someone from operating heavy machinery...but not heavy metal.

The cause of the nausea probably has a huge factor on counter measures.  The inner ear, chemo, radiation, bad food, texture, alcohol, smell and  psychology are a potential sources. Some people take anti-anxiety in order to fly...some of them would get physically ill.  How much relief could be achieved with a convincing placebo?  That could be a human factors study. 

I know we are deal with environmental changes differently.  I have several aerobatic friends that are only good for about ten spins but can loop, roll and hammer all day. 

Perspective.  Life is good.  I start physical therapy tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment