Sunday, September 15, 2013

Radiation week 3



A sunburned throat is an accurate description of the radiation effects. This makes swallowing harder and adds to the challenge of maintaining proper nutrition. Chemotherapy changes the way things taste and makes you nauseous. A large part my fight is to eat as much as I can. This exercises the very parts that will need rehabilitation. The burn spots inside your mouth and throat can be soothed by paying close attention to oral hygiene. One day I had hiccups for about 6 hours.

They gave me a drink that numbs your throat. That seemed to help but I ran out over the weekend. From about 8 o'clock Sunday night and into Monday morning I had the dry heaves and was unable to keep down even water. Monday morning they hooked me up to an IV and begin hydration process and gave me pain and nausea medicine. I was able to eat.

I got a feeding tube on Tuesday. It is strange but allows me to keep up with nutrition.

I am very blessed to have such great friends and family. We visited the club on second Saturday and were able to make Luke Van Dorsten’s retirement party.

No comments:

Post a Comment