Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The father of CCT



            I was honored to attend the memorial for the father of CCT.

Chief Master Sergeant Alcide “Bull” Sylvio Benni 15 Oct 1921-16 Apr 2015.  He arrived at Ellis Island in 1930 and joined the Army ten years later.  He was captured by the Japanese 7 Apr 1942 in the Philippines.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc2m7Av3L5U
            After internment as a POW he was repatriated, joined the 82nd Airborne attended Pathfinder school and worked hard to make sure American forces would not again surrender.  He transferred the USAF and founded the unit that would become Combat Control and later Special Tactics. 
            He lived a full life after the military, he played saxophone and cooked up Italian cuisine with fixings from his garden.  I met his granddaughter, his brother, his daughter and her husband.  The Chaplin played and sang hymnals including ‘Amazing Grace’, ‘How Great Thou Art’, and ‘When the Saints Go Marching In’.  They invited people to speak and I said a few words.
            “The Battling Bastards of Bataan, no mama, no papa no Uncle Sam; I did not know the Chief personally.  He founded a unit that gathers all the bastards, orphans and mutants and organizes them to defend this nation.  My wife is from the Philippines.  The impact of one man ripples throughout the world.  We stand on the shoulders of giants.”

            It was evident that he feared God and loved his country.  After the family left I went back and knocked out memorial push ups.  The best leaders inspire one to try your hardest.  We will defend our kin to the death.  My brother from another mother still stands at the gates of hell keeping this country safe.  Many have fallen, more will rise.
I have lived the easy life.  Uncle Sam did not abandon me.  The Chief formed a team that grew.  I used to tie a knot in the string at the back of my beret for my fallen brothers to remind me of them.  It was an added bonus that it pissed the first sergeants in division off.  I quit tying knots at number twenty one. 
The experience as POW slave labor in the mines eclipses any hardship I can fathom.  I thank God that he lived.  At one time I wondered why my team leader was such a hard ass; later I understood that it was because he loved me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment