Thursday, February 13, 2014

Traveling by commercial air

I traveled to San Francisco last weekend. It was the first time I flew as a passenger since 2004. I am not in a hurry to repeat the experience. The cost and convenience is very hard to beat especially to major cities. As an employment program the TSA is a great success. Weather delayed us both directions. Passengers seem to be disconnected from the magic of flight and that is a shame.
I had an interesting conversation with a commuting corporate pilot. The shift to automation and electronic flight bags had shifted much of the workload back on the aircrew and away from dispatch. It seemed he felt CRM was being misused by junior crewmembers to distort the cockpit gradient rather than facilitate teamwork. Like many professional aircrew in big iron flying was a J O B rather than a joy.
The solutions that were created to address the Colgan accident do not seem to address the core issue. Additional hour requirements for first officers increase the cost of training. The aircrew involved in the accident would have qualified under the new rules, in other words, they had the hours. The saying is “a pilot can have 10,000 hours or one hour 10,000 times” meaning that one must learn from experience rather than just log time. The Air France accident illustrated that the stall spin accident was not limited to the inexperienced regional airlines flying relatively simple airplanes. The fundamentals of flying need to be emphasized and practiced. It is vital that the formative training builds angle of attack awareness.
I am excited to return to flight instruction. The FAA sent a letter acknowledging receipt of my application for a medical certificate. I have been studying and dreaming about flying and will get back in the air when the weather cooperates. Snow, rain, fog and high winds have been the hazards that present themselves on the days I have had availability. My physical and mental readiness is becoming more consistent. The commercial flights allowed me to examine my ability to equalize pressure in my ears and sinuses. I do not think I should skydive from 25,000 feet or scuba dive to 130 feet but smooth altitude changes below 10,000 feet should be tolerated well.
The reason I went to California was to comfort and seek comfort with my family after my Aunt’s passing. She lived a wonderful life and touched many people in a positive manner. Thank you for your prayers and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment