Friday, January 10, 2014

Physical Therapy

I have been blessed to work with an excellent physical therapist. We have reached a point where I am going to work on my own for a period of time. It takes time to heal, build muscle and increase flexibility and he has given me a good set of exercises.
The removal of the sternocleidomastoideus muscle during the radical neck dissection left a functional gap. My scalene muscles have taken much of the work. These muscles normally are more for stabilizing than moving the head and neck. It seems the muscles that attach to my hyoid are also being recruited. Gentle stretching and range of motion exercises are working. Concerns include overstressing the muscles and tearing the points of insertion.
The shoulder issues stem from the removal of the nerve that activates the upper trapezius muscle. After the operation the surgeon seemed surprised that I could move my arm above my head. I think the structure of the nerves in and around the neck have some variation and maybe not all of the spinal accessory nerve (cranial nerve 11) was removed. I have areas that are numb on the left side of my head, neck and shoulder so some nerve function has been affected. The removal of the stabilizing neck muscles also affects the shoulder. Further complicating rehabilitation is a previous injury. In the 1980s I broke and dislocated my left shoulder. I was able to recover good function.
Peripheral neuropathy is still a challenge. Reprogramming my perceptions, exercise and massage therapy are making it tolerable. I can not tell a difference in the intensity or frequency but I am purposely suppressing my perceptions. I am able to function better each day.
The final challenge is rebuilding my atrophied muscles. Eight months of minimal activity combined with heavy doses of drugs made me weak. In addition to the physical therapy specific exercises I am trying to increase my work load. Progress is slow. Recovery times are long. The amazing Benjamin Franklin helps me to walk daily and listens to my complaining without judgment. My lovely bride inspires me to fight for recovery and keeps me in line. Thank God for all my blessings. Thank y’all for your support and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment