Thursday, July 26, 2018

Heat Stroke Rave


Heat Stroke Rave
The opposite of a rant. I was going to complain about mowing the yard in the heat but I vividly recall a time five years ago when I was too weak to start my mower much less push it. Thank God I am alive and healthy enough to work! Thank you for my home. I am blessed to be an American where a commoner can own property. We, as mortal creatures, seem to be more conscientious caretakers if we "own" it. It is kind of ludicrous for a speck of dust on a speck of dust claim ownership but it is my peace of paradise (spelling intentional).
I live on a swamp, I mean wetland. Life is strong here, if you neglect your chores for a few days the grass, dandelions and weeds grow so tall small children and animals can get lost for days. I live here by choice. I once lived in the So Cal desert where neglecting your yard resulted in everything drying up and dying. At least this is a wet heat.
My grandchild and her friends love to frolic outdoors and insuring their safety includes removing habitat for spiders, snakes, wasps and fire ants. Encouraging growth of fruits, vegetables and flowers creates great hiding places for froggies, bunnies and duckies. Promoting the children's wonderland while limiting the predators buffet is a balancing act.
Yard work is a simple task and can create immediate gratification. This was among the first chores I could do as a kid. I was/am very happy that I can pull my weight by performing various tasks. Mowing and pulling weeds allows lots of time to think, and/or allows me to not have to think. I enjoy mindless tasks like running, swimming and fishing. Mama said "if you don't think too good, don't think too much" and I have lived by that motto my whole life. Anyway "Yippee, I am mowing the lawn in a million and five heat index and having fun" or maybe it is just the heat induced psychosis talking.
In reality, in a concession to my age, I use the military work/rest tables for planning and I have no pride in wimping out when needed. Mint juleps and watermelon on porch is a suitable sub for yard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment