Friday, August 21, 2015

Louisiana Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0i9zLJnU3w


I was born in Baton Rouge.

Both my papa and my daddy worked and payed taxes.

They were productive members of society.

They provided for their families the best way they knew how.

They tried to be responsible citizens as best they understood.

Poor bastards. Have you ever been hungry?

Have you ever fished for breakfast? No fish, no breakfast.

Doodle bugs taste like salt lick.

The saying "it's better than nothing" applies.




And by daddy I mean the fella who paid my child support.

My papa was the man who loved my mom and took care of us.

The work ethic is ingrained in us from an early age.  You take care of your own either directly or indirectly.
Feeding your family is your job.  
We tend to eat anything that moves, or sits still.  I seem to recall it was more because we had a big appetite built up in anticipation of a big fish than because we liked to eat possum or armadillo.

For some rural kids seeing people outside your immediate family is rare.  Going to town is a celebration because it is an unusual event.  Directions to our house included the phrases "and then the highway ends, and then the black top ends, and after the dirt road ends."  

People say we talk funny and dress strange.

People are probably right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment