Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Coats, cans, and kickers

How many coats does a man need?
If you boil it right down to the essence, we only need one coat. And that's only if its cold , rainy, windy or other hazards. During a motorcycle wreck I would like to have on my body a strong leather jacket. If I were in an airplane crash I would want a fire proof jacket. If I were in battle I would want a bullet proof jacket that makes me invisible to my enemy and visible to my ally.

  So the question is, rather, how many coats SHOULD a man have.?
My son identified four; a dress coat, a warm casual coat, a wind and/or waterproof coat and a work coat. 
My daughter added a motorcycle jacket and perhaps a flying jacket.  My wife is convinced that I'm insane and looked at me like I was from a different planet when I asked her. The dog and the cats firmly back the one coat theory.

What a ridiculously materialistically blessed human am I? I suspect that there are people in Harnett county then cold of the last few weeks they do not own a coat and I have more than enough.  I'm not planning on giving all of my coats away but merely the excess. Then I have to identify the moral issues of giving away coats that were gifts to me. I only have a few coats that I actually bought for myself.  Each of these pieces of cloth have meaning.  Much of my cold weather attire was issued.  My lovely bride gave me the majority of my wardrobe including the winter stuff.


I have identified that I have an excess number of coats and I am going to give some of them away.  Forgive me for being so selfish that I want to keep more than one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment