Wednesday, March 5, 2014

New surgical oncologist

Last Friday I met my new surgical oncologist. He seems like a competent, caring skilled professional. He stuck the camera down my nose into my throat and did not see any evidence of disease. We discussed scheduling a PET scan rather than a CT scan for the next checkup. This would help establish a conclusive negative evidence of disease. The CT is limited in its ability to distinguish possible tumor re-growth from the scar tissue. A PET scan with a positive indication is not conclusive evidence but, a negative PET scan is as close to conclusive as it gets. I am not real excited about any additional exposure to radiation be it CT, PET or X-ray of any kind but early detection makes the battle easier. My next appointment is in April. No news on my FAA medical. AOPA can start bugging the FAA next week.
There are inspirational people who have touched me during this journey and it is time to start paying back. One of my friends at the Lineberger comprehensive cancer center gave me their assessment of the American Cancer Society. They are very helpful to the people at UNC. They provide excellent written resources, funding for research, and other services. A big endorsement was the fact that when she calls they answer and follow through on their promises. I think I will participate in the relay for life.
I volunteered for the Imerman Angels program. Last year, it was very helpful to speak to someone who survived the same kind of cancer. Weighing treatment options was easier knowing that the road(s) I was contemplating were successfully survived. It also inspires me to keep up on the physical therapy to improve my quality of life.
I am grateful to God for every breath. Sometimes I feel down and that is normal. Remembering the successful battles of the last year and my fallen friends and family keeps the self pity to a minimum. I am excited to be here and look forward with great expectations. Pain is just a reminder that I am alive and have work to do. Thanks for all the prayers and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment