Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Peripheral neuropathy

Recovery is happening. About two weeks ago my lovely wife was pushing me around in a wheelchair and today I am walking unassisted, praise God. We fill out a form that addresses side effects and pain levels every time we visit the hospital. A few days ago the answer was “everything hurts and nothing works.” As the chemo drugs concentrations change I can discriminate between particular side effects
Like a real word geek I began searching for words that would more accurately describe the pain. Electric shocks that travel from muscle to muscle throbbing, pounding, stinging, burning, and searing describes the background sensation. Movement requires a lot of cognitive effort. My nerve endings fire randomly every now and then. It is somewhat like having a Vegas Elvis take control of your legs. This adds additional challenge for the balance impaired.
Extreme sensitivity to touch is another symptom that one has been present for a while but was overwhelmed by the pain of the Lapatinib rash. Sensory overload can cause system shutdown. Passing out is not the most restful sleep. As my awesome wife continues to love on me I am getting stronger. Now I am able to distinguish between individual symptoms rather than just be overwhelmed. More of my sleep is refreshing.
I want to program my mind into interpreting strong nervous system feedback as uncontrolled power instead of pain. Therapeutic exercise includes horse stance, hanging stance, half moon steps, and plum flower fist. Crushing news paper and then throwing those pieces into the trash can. I am trying to exercise precision with my motor skills.
Video of the day
Word(s) of the day:
Peripheral neuropathy



2 comments:

  1. hello Ronny, I am glad to hear that you are somewhat beginning to feel better. I thought of you the other day as I was getting settled into college life down here in Florida and I wanted to see how you were doing. While I haven't started taking classes on Human Factors yet, I have started CFI training. I must say I have a lot of respect for you guys, trying to instruct can be frustrating at times. Anyways, I just wanted to say hi. I hope all continues to improve.
    best,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK!!!!! everyone here hopes for your best
    Peripheral neuropathy

    ReplyDelete